Nardini Manor, originally known as “Fields Ranch,” was established by Rev. Ralph H. and Edna Fields in late 1910, the very year the nearby Arizona Eastern Railway tracks were being laid. Rev. Fields was known locally as a cattle rancher, farmer, missionary and Methodist preacher in the small settlement known as Liberty of then Arizona Territory.
The large house took two full years to construct, from 1910-1912, and it is believed that the lumber and materials may have arrived on the new railway which received its first railcar in 1911. The exterior walls of the house are constructed of solid concrete and are a full 12” thick. Instead of rebar, the concrete was reinforced with railway rails. Construction was complete in 1912, the same year Arizona officially became a state.
The homestead changed hands many times over the years and fell into deep disrepair, but was reborn in 1975 when it was purchased by Italian visionaries Thomas and Kay Nardini. Tom and Kay devoted themselves to the property’s marvelous restoration for nearly 20 years, adding the north and south wings of the house, manicured hedges – including the maze – vast and elegant gardens, fountains, sculptures, and other ornamental elements throughout the property.